Connect with us

Politics

Gov. Soludo Declares State Of Emergency On Anambra Roads, Infrastructure

Published

on

Anambra State Gov. Chukwuma Soludo has declared a state of emergency on infrastructure, especially roads, in the South Eastern state.


Soludo made the declaration Wednesday in Awka during a town hall meeting with traditional rulers, presidents-general of communities, youths and women groups.


He said the government would commence massive road construction across the state to ease movement of goods and services.


The governor promised to complete the Anambra Cargo Airport and International Convention Centre and position them to become economically viable.

He said he had reclaimed the state from dirt in the last 49 days through massive waste evacuation and desilting the drains in Onitsha and Awka.

He said that he had also constituted his cabinet within three weeks of his inauguration.


Soludo vowed that all the structures built on natural water channels or drains would be pulled down to make for free flow of water.


He said his administration would retrieve Onitsha from steady degradation and restore it to its old days of glory.


He described the commercial city as the biggest market and preferred destination for business in West Africa.

“We have started desilting Sakamori, where floods wash people away every year from Obodoukwu to Idemili.


“We have started clearing it for free flow of flood water.


“But there is a bad case, people built structures on the drainage from Nwangene to River Niger.


“But I promise that as night follows the day, all those structures must come down.


“Onitsha is the largest city in Anambra, it used to be the largest market, the preferred destination to all.

“But today, Onitsha is dying, while its neighbour is growing fast.


“Our first job is to resurrect Onitsha, the gutters are filled with dirt,” Soludo said.


He further regretted that touts no longer allow visiting businessmen to move freely.


“Every available land is covered with structures with no place to park vehicles but our mission is to restore the glory of the city,” he said.


Soludo reiterated the ban on all road tolls, pending when the government completes its collection system for direct payment to the government by automation.

“Transporters will pay revenue to the government, take their receipts and operate all day without molestation,” he said.


He described security of life and property as shared responsibility, which traditional rulers, presidents-general had huge roles to play.


He, therefore, urged the community leaders to revive their vigilance groups.


He promised that the state government would provide funding through a security trust fund, billed to be launched soon.


Earlier, Deputy Governor Onyekachukwu Ibezim made a presentation of the progress so far made on the clean up in Awka and Onitsha.


Ibezim said about 60 dumpsites in Onitsha and 20 in Awka had been cleared.


He said the intervention committee, which he is heading, would wind down after three months and taken over by the local governments.


He warned residents against indiscriminate dumping of refuse.


He advised them to always use the receptacles and embrace healthy environmental practices.         

Politics

Alleged Misappropriation: External auditor will examine LP’s accounts – Peter Obi

Published

on

Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 general elections, has announced that an external auditor has been appointed to scrutinize the party’s financial records.

This follows allegations made by Oluchi Opara, the national treasurer of the Labour Party, on Monday, accusing Julius Abure, the national chairman, of misappropriating N3.5 billion. In response, the party suspended Opara, alleging external influence aimed at destabilizing the LP. Abure, in turn, threatened legal action against Opara for defamation.

However, addressing the situation during a press conference on Thursday, Peter Obi stated, “we will account for everything now that we have an independent person who will tell us which way forward.” Obi clarified that he is not directly involved in the party’s management or campaign finances, assuring transparency in the handling of funds received during the election. He urged the public to come forward with any information regarding the whereabouts of the alleged misappropriated funds.

Continue Reading

Politics

We spent N744.5m on litigation, received N595.9m from Nigerians – Obi-Datti Campaign gives account

Published

on


The Obi/Baba-Ahmed Presidential Campaign Organisation has revealed that it expended more than N744,500,000.00 (seven hundred and forty-four million, five hundred thousand naira) in legal battles in courts concerning the 2023 presidential election. Additionally, the organization disclosed receiving donations amounting to N595,976,994.00 from Nigerian citizens. Aisha Yesufu, Chairperson of the Fundraising Team of the Campaign Organisation, shared these details during a presentation on fundraising reports.

She emphasized the significance of accountability and transparency, underscoring the need to explain how the donated funds were utilized. Yesufu expressed gratitude to all donors, both in monetary and non-monetary contributions. From the donations received from citizens, the organization amassed N595,976,994. The candidate himself, Peter Obi, also contributed N8,000,000.00.

The campaign strategy included channeling support for Peter Obi and Datti Ahmed through various support groups across Nigeria’s 36 states. Media campaigns were deployed, reaching over 11 million individuals through 40 radio stations, community outreach, and social media platforms.

Limited financial resources led to a strategic approach in utilizing funds. Campaign materials worth N258,374,330.00 were procured and distributed nationwide, along with N16,432,867.00 allocated for media and radio broadcasting expenses. Election promotion expenses amounted to N10,808,948.00, while N324,381,700.00 was spent on Polling Unit Agents. Additionally, bank charges of N1,750,544.00 and administrative charges of N477,000.00 were incurred.

A significant portion, N744,500,000.00, was allocated to cover legal expenses, while over N28,500,000.00 was expended on campaign and election activities. Yesufu clarified that the candidate himself contributed N800,000,000.00 specifically for legal fees.

Continue Reading

Politics

Peter Obi an opportunist—Bwala

Published

on


A former spokesperson for the Atiku-Okowa Presidential Campaign Council, Daniel Bwala, has characterized Peter Obi, the Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, as an opportunist.

In response to a photo of Obi at the Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, in Cote d’Ivoire, Bwala asserted that Obi manipulates religion, ethnicity, natural disasters, and sports to his advantage against Nigerians.

Sharing his thoughts on platform X, Bwala stated, “Obi doesn’t engage in opposition but rather exploits opportunities. He capitalizes on the nation’s and its people’s weaknesses like a predator, utilizing religion, ethnicity, natural calamities, and even sports until members of the NFF supporters’ club told him to ‘F’ off.”

“Peter Obi aims to lead Nigeria with slogans and trendy phrases; shifting from consumption to production; referencing China, Malaysia, Egypt, etc. What does he truly understand about governance? He feigns concern for the impoverished masses; however, one should inquire about the wages he offers his employees across all his businesses, and then return to discuss the genuine implications of contemporary slavery with me.”

Continue Reading

Trending